Thursday, May 19, 2011

COUPLE'S ALMANAC: HOW TO

What is a Couple's Almanac?


 A Couple's Almanac is a way to record your story as a couple, recount special times together, share dreams, make lists of future plans and so much more!  I first read about this project in one of our favorite  books, Red Hot Monogamy, by Bill & Pam Farrell.  I made a note in the margin that I thought it would be a fun idea to do together. . . and to my surprise my husband answered back in the margin that he agreed!  We use this as an opportunity to connect with one another during dates, on long drives/road trips or even spontaneously!  
These are a few photos from the almanac we have started as a couple. Ours is a 12 x 12 size album, simply because I had a few layouts that I wanted to include in the almanac that were already done and were that size.  Also, I do like the idea of plastic protecting the pages.  Other ideas to use:
* A journal (blank or lined)
* A sketchbook
* A photo album (make "pages" 4 x 6 and slip in spaces)
* A 3-Ring binder
* An altered book
* Envelope album
* Library pocket album
* Paper bag album
* Composition book
* Digital book

Any place you can record information could be the starting point for your Couple's Almanac.  What do you have stashed around your house?  Brainstorm ideas of things to include in your album and get started tonight!

We began by just making lists of topics/questions/things to include in our almanac.  We used a steno pad and then I went back to transfer our information to the "cuts" stuff later.  Mainly because I didn't have all the stuff with me when we began. . . who wants to take all the stuff on a ride in the car?  I'll settle for the steno pad and pen!  My husband is used to me asking questions or having him list things for journaling in our scrapbooks... so this wasn't too much of a stretch for him. . . plus he liked some of the topics we planned to include!

When it came time to put some of our information into the "almanac" I went straight to a layout I created years ago. . . with our love story in mind.  Notice the "r" and "s" in the photos along with words like "dream", "time", and "love".  I had the perfect use for it now. . . our Couple's Almanac!

Another layout I had already done was about one of our homes.  I had taken photos of different aspects of our home, inside and out,  Then I used a square punch to cut out small squares.  I then arranged them in a collage style.  We no longer live at this home, so it is fun to look at the pics and think of when we did!

The layout to your right shows nine squares on green.  This is actually a flap that when you raise it reveals journaling about our home.  It was a way to get more photos in the layout and record memories.


My husband does make my heart sing. . .

This is a layout in progress.  It was a ready-made layout I purchased at a local store.  I did have the perfect photo of my cutie-husband to put on it, so I did!


Now for other ideas for almanac postings or pages. . .

*  Nicknames for one another- how do you sign notes, what terms of endearment do you call one another?  You get the idea!

*  Our Bucket List- what are things you want to do together in life before you die?  Make a list and date them as they happen!  My hubby totally surprised me with one of mine in August 2010!

*  10 free things your spouse does to make you feel loved.  Our lists are ongoing. . . sometimes it is hard to think of things on the spot.  So be prepared to give yourself or spouse time to think of their answer.  It doesn't mean they don't have any, it is just difficult to come up with them quickly.
*Places you want to visit/travel together. . .





Look for pre-made cards or sayings like the ones in some of the photos.  They make quick and easy journaling blocks.  You also see some of our lists we've made that haven't been put into our book yet.  I included them so you could see other topics!
*  Dream Dates- my hubby said "Sarah"; wrong meaning there sweetie!  He was joking around, but in our minds dream dates were similar to vacations we'd take with each other.  You can determine what it means for you and your spouse.

*  Ways you can praise your spouse. . . We did this years ago in a church class on marriage and we had to finish the phrase "I praise you, (name), for. . .  I have never forgotten what my husband said to me.  It needs to be one specific thing or way, not just a generalization.  Mine to my husband was, "I praise you, Ronnie, for your commitment to us and for your help around the house that gives me a break."

*  List 5 admirable qualities of your spouse and tell why

*  List 5 things I LOVE and 5 things that drive me crazy about my spouse. . . now hopefully your spouse already knows of these and it won't start an argument or be a surprise.  If that's the case. . . skip or have the conversation first!  We used it as a spring board for more discussion and things we can do to help the other one remember the items in a kind manner.  Plus ours weren't major things either. . . at least not to us.

*  Make a list of how you spent each anniversary since you have been married.  Check out www.thedatingdivas.com for some great ideas or also shannonbrown.typepad.com for some fun date ideas!

*  Define true love

*  List all the reasons you are in love with your spouse


*  What would you consider a perfect weekend getaway?  Come up with this together, or each of you write your own and then you have an idea of what your spouse would like to do.  Surprise them with that gift sometime!

*  What kinds of "together" things do you enjoy with your spouse?

*  Our song is. . .  because. . .

*  List words you would use to describe your spouse

*  Make a list of words or phrases that capture the meaning of love

*  When I look into my spouse's eyes I see. . .

*  Make a list of wishes you have for your spouse. . . I wish for...

*  Books you've read together or want to read together. . . possibly ones to strengthen your marriage

*  Make a list of your spouse's passions in life (without having to ask them)

*  Ways you celebrate holidays, birthdays or special occasions

*  Make a list of your "favorites" (color, snack, food, drink, sport, candy, movie, tv show, book, song, clothes, pjs, magazine, room in house, restaurant, ice cream, dinner, breakfast food, kind of music, kind of movies, car, hobbies, sports teams, places to shop, etc)
 

 

These are a few pages of journaling blocks I made for us to use in our almanac.  Visit www.shabbyprincess.com for the digital kits used to make them.  There are elements from Clementine and Wild Love.  I hope to make more for our book, but maybe these ideas will inspire you!

No comments:

Post a Comment