Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Fairytale vs. Reality:

As I was drifting off to sleep I began thinking of things I wanted to say on this blog.  One of the biggest and earliest battles in marriage for me was the myth that marriage is a fairytale.  Sorry to burst your bubble if you still think that way, but reality is actually sweeter than fantasy. 

With all the hoopla of the Royal Wedding and all the Disney Princess movies little girls can grow up thinking marriage is indeed a fairytale.  And then when reality settles in they are crushed and often can't handle the "realness" of being married to a real man and not a 24/7 "prince charming". 

I was fortunate in some ways to realize this fairytale vs. reality scenerio before we were married, but it really messed with my mind.  I do mean that literally.  I was also going through a rough time b/c my grandfather had just died and then I kept having thoughts of "will my marriage stack up" next to my parents, my sisters, to other "perfect" marriages?  Well of course not, my marriage will be its own unique and challenging experience that is only mine and my husbands.  No two marriages are alike.  No marriage is a fairytale.  Life does NOT happen in song and dance (much like the fairytale world colliding with reality in the movie Enchanted), it is the nitty-gritty of ups and downs, saying your sorry, forgiving the other, having responsibility and so much more! 

If you are in the midst of a relationship and are dreaming of your "Happily Ever After" then realize it can exist, but with it comes with hard work, a commited spouse, an unconditional love for the other, a marriage that is based on God's love . . . and that is only the beginning.  Thanks for sharing my thoughts and Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment