Sunday, April 24, 2011

Are you a box of 94 or 8 crayons?



Have you realized how different men and women are?  If not, you may have been under a rock.  With book titles like "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" and "Women are like spaghetti and Men are like waffles" it seems like the world is well aware of the differences.

Several years ago my husband, Ronnie, was trying to clue me in how we see things differently.  He said (with good intentions) that I was more like a box of 96 crayons and he was more like a box of 8 crayons.  I need all those colors to live life and I see things in many ways. He sees things in a more basic way, and says he probably doesn't even need all 8.  He was saying in this in a very sweet and positive way, it is a compliment I may only get but he was acknowledging my differences and putting them in a positive light.



I often have to tell myself that he may not see things the same way I do, but that's okay.  If he is happy with a box of 8 crayons then I should be ok with it too.  Just like he knows I need all 96 (or now there's a box of 112)!  He may be good with 3 pairs of shoes, while I have at least 30.  This is just one way we have learned to understand one another in our marriage.  We don't try to change one another, we try to change our own viewpoint.  That is selfless love.  Give it a try, it feels great and gives your spouse a boost of confidence (when you don't try to change them-- you love them like they are).

No comments:

Post a Comment